Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Good News, Bad News

First the bad news... the teaching job market is horrible right now. Horrible. Our county alone cut between 500-1000 teaching jobs this year. We are increasing class size as well. Actually, scratch that. The government just announced yesterday that there will be NO maximum class size for 2010-2011. Which means a Kindergarten class could have 20 children or 45 children. That is insane.

The good news... I just graduated with my Masters of Arts in Teaching Early Childhood Education WAHOO!!

The bad news... I applied to 75+ schools (private, public, churches, daycares, etc) and only 4 called me in for an interview. Two of which were daycares and I have come to the conclusion that that is not the job for me. You cannot pay me enough to be a nanny to 25 children. I want to be a TEACHER to 25 children, not a nanny. Oh and the daycare's philosophy was "The children are in charge." So if we are outside at recess and come back inside and I say, "Okay class, gather around, we are going to do a Science experiment." The kids don't have to participate if they don't want to. They can stay outside at recess. WHAT??? I understand that children should WANT to learn, but I'm pretty sure allowing a 5 year old the choice of recess or learning, they will choose recess. And what happens when that child begins attending a public school? I know what happens. I have Kindergarten teacher friends that have some of these children and say they are nightmares because they feel like they don't have to participate or listen. Sorry for the rant. Obviously, I said no to these 2 daycares. The 3rd interview was with a private school. I really enjoyed my interview with the Headmaster and he seemed to really like me. He gave me 1.5 hour tour of the school. This lead did not pan out as I didn't hear back from him. Hmmm...

The good news... interview #4 was for a Lead Teacher of 3's at a church. And I TOOK IT! I am so excited to even have a job offer. Out of all my friends I just graduated with last weekend with our MASTERS in Teaching, only 1 other person has a potential job. So I feel crazy not to take this opportunity. Although it is not my dream job, I am still very excited about this upcoming year. Three is one of my favorite ages. The kids are very sweet and lovey, and they soak up everything you say like a sponge! Something cool about this whole job situation is that I actually attended this church when I was a tiny tot for Mother's Morning Out, Preschool, and Kindergarten. So it is very cool to come full circle and now be teaching at that very school!

The bad news... I have to leave my family in Dunwoody that I have been nannying for 3 years. I love the little girl Lydie more than anything. She is a mini-adult and we have had such fun gallivanting around town - GA Aquarium, the park, Atlanta Zoo, the pool, ballet class, grocery store, and of course the mall :) Lydie sings about everything she does and I swear we have a mini-musical everyday about the most random things. Today we sang a song for 30 minutes about watching Hudson sleep on the baby monitor and how he looked like a "squirmy wormy" haha. She will be 4 this Fall. Hudson is the new baby in the family and he is a muffin man for sure. He is 4 months old and so adorable. I can't wait to see what his personality ends up being. Needless to say, I am SO sad to leave this amazing and wonderful family. The entire family (parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles) are all fabulous. I will "end" in August.

The good news... Lydie & Hudson live about 30 minutes away and I plan on hanging out still quite often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment