Sunday, December 12, 2010

20 week appt

We went in for our 20 week appointment on December 8. I was actually already at 22 weeks but with my crazy school schedule, I couldn't make my appointment until now. First, we met with Mary, the ultrasound technician. She was VERY quick and not as friendly as our tech at 16 weeks. Mary was knowledgeable and pointed out EVERY body part - kindeys, bladder, heart with 4 chambers, brain, spine, femur, arms, etc. You name it, she found it and documented it. The heartbeat was up to 154 and our little guy now officially weighs 1lb 1 oz! Isn't it fun to think that he only weighs 1 pound and yet I've gained 8? Oh joy :) Mary confirmed (again) for us that it was a boy. I had this fear going into it that the tech would say "It's a Girl," but thank goodness it was still a boy :) Mary told us that my placenta was in the front (inb/t baby and my belly) and that would explain why it took me so long (compared to my other pregnant friends) to feel him kick. She also said that it would take to about 28 weeks for Brian to finally feel him kick too. That put both our minds at ease!
yawning/talking... looks like he's blowing a bubble :)
still a boy, phew!
side profile (my favorite shots!) and his little hand is up by his face :)

Even though I have read 3 pregnancy books cover-to-cover, I sometimes forget to apply what I have learned. I know that I should not lay flat on my back while pregnant - either for crunches or relaxing. But I forgot why. So in the middle of my ultrasound, I started to feel faint. I was embarrassed by it so I didn't want to announce it. I tried to play it off, but I was soon drenched in a cold sweat. Brian immediately noticed (he has seen the signs MANY times before!) and asked if I was okay. Mary and Brian helped me turn over to my left side so I could get circulation back. Mary kept on with the ultrasound. I was now laying on my left side, facing the screen, and Brian was behind me also facing the screen. Brian, being the sweet wonderful husband that he is, started to scratch my back because he knows that calms me down. We were both watching the ultrasound scree and as soon as he started scratching, our little baby started nodding his head up and down as if saying, "Yeah that feels good." It was SO sweet!

After we finished with our ultrasound, we met with Dr. Sharon. He was very nice, but also very sarcastic. And not in the way that I like, more dry humor. Oh well, it was fine. He answered all my crazy questions - like about leg cramps at night. Dr. Sharon went over our ultrasound results and blood test results from the last visit. He said everything looks healthy and normal. My MSAFP test came back normal - which was testing for spina bifida and other neural tube defects. He said our baby boy looks completely healthy - SUCH a relief to hear that!

Our next appointment will be December 23 when I will undergo glucose testing to check for gestational diabetes. No more ultrasounds from this moment on - which really makes me sad inside. Although, my sister and mom and I are going for a girls night of ultrasounds in January just the 3 of us. We found a place here in Atlanta that will let you come in for an ultrasound session - we will get some 3d/4d pictures and videos again! So that'll be nice. I can't believe that the next time we see this baby's face will be around April 12!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment