Friday, December 31, 2010

24 Week Appt & Glucose Test

24 weeks :)
Two days before Christmas, we had our 24 week appointment and glucose testing. I had to fast for about 2 hours ahead of time (which includes water!!!). We arrived early to our appointment, as I was a bit nervous about the blood work. We were seen right away (thank God!) and I was given a choice between a yummy orange flavor or delicious Hawaiian Punch flavored drink. I chose the orange and was told by a nurse to chug it within 5 minutes. I thought to myself, "No problem, that's easy." I took one sip and realized how serious this was - it was disgusting. I can imagine that for someone who usually drinks soda and other sweet drinks it wouldn't be too terrible, but all I drink is water, milk and juice so this was horrible to me. Brian stood in the corner and cheered me on as I chugged the chalky, orange drink. The nurse told us to go out to the waiting room (and gave us packets of info to read and fill out) and she'd call me back in one hour for the blood work. I wasn't allowed to drink water, chew gum, or anything. So I had that yummy orange taste in my mouth for an hour. Sick. Brian and I thumbed through the paperwork and filled out our "Birth Plan" - we had to say who was going to cut the umbilical cord, if I wanted an epidural or not (YES PLEASE), and other birthing options. I finally got called back to the lab and they drew blood. Brian did a great job of trying to distract me while they nurse did her job. Needless to say, as soon as she finished drawing blood, I chugged a bottle of water.

After all of this, we were seen by a doctor. Most of my appointments from this point on will be pretty routine - weigh on the scale (lots of fun), measure my belly, listen to the heart beat, and Q/A. The measurement of belly (24.5 inches) lined up perfectly with being 24 weeks pregnant. My weight gain was right on target for where I was at, even though I feel like a beached whale. The doctor said I was right on "schedule" with everything.

I got a phone call a few days after this appointment with my results. The glucose test came back normal and it looks like I do not have gestational diabetes - YAY! One thing I can cross off my list :)

No comments:

Post a Comment