Thursday, October 7, 2010

12 Week Appointment


The packets of information given to you by an OB/GYN is overwhelming to say the least. There are a bunch of tests you can have performed on you and on your little bundle. Brian and I weighed the pros and cons of each test and came to the decision that we didn't want any of them. Some of the tests are invasive and can cause harm to your fetus, so those tests were easily a "no." But some of the other tests the doctors can run would give you a percentage of if your child will have Downs Syndrome, any chromosomal abnormalities, or Cystic Fibrosis. Brian and I had a lengthy discussion about these and asked ourselves, "What will we do with these results? Will they change the outcome?" We decided that we would pass on all of the tests since we would be keeping our baby no matter what the results were. We thought why would we need to know of any abnormalities ahead of time and cause anxiety on our part?

Brian and I went to our 12-week appointment today (October 7th) at the Northside location. (Side note, our future baby will be born at Northside Hospital, the same hospital where I was born 26 years ago!) We met with a nurse to discuss insurance, possible delivery complications and choices, and the difference between a midwife and a doctor. Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. We then met with Dr. Jill Henke, one of the physicians, who did my exam. She also did a Doppler ultrasound on my tummy and we got to hear our baby's heartbeat - 158bpm. I was able to ask Dr. Henke my new list of questions :) and she answered all of them. The last part of our appointment was blood work. If you know me, you know that I can't handle needles at all and panic at even the mere thought of them. Brian did a great job of distracting me while the nurse did her work and when it was done I saw that she collected 5 viles. 5 viles! That is just too much. Naturally, I had to sit in that seat for a few minutes to "get it together" before standing up. Before we left the office, we made our next 3 appointments. We will find out the sex of our little baby on November 3rd!! Brian and I are literally counting down the days. It blows my mind that there are people out there who want it to be a surprise!

We're taking bets now - boy or girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment