Thursday, October 7, 2010

Confirmation of Pregnancy

"They" say that between 6-8 weeks of pregnancy you have a lot of doubts - am I even pregnant? Is there really a baby in here? etc. Well "they" are right. We had doubts left and right and needed a confirmation of pregnancy from a doctor. So we went to my OB/GYN and had our first ultrasound on August 31st. We were told that my estimated due date was April 12. Seeing our little turtle (it literally looked like a turtle on the ultrasound!) and hearing our due date made it all very real. The doctor spent a lot of time with us and answered all our questions - and if you know me, then you know I had a typed list of questions.

Over the next few weeks, we slowly began sharing our good news with close friends and family which was very exciting for us. I was feeling okay til about week 8 when the exhaustion and nausea set in. Being a first year teacher who is PREGNANT is very tiring. I would come home, take a nap on the sofa, wake up when Brian got home, he would make dinner for us, we would eat together and talk about our days, and then I would fall back asleep on the sofa. I know that might sound luxurious to some, but trust me, it was no walk in the park. I felt nauseous every minute of everyday and trying to find relief was difficult. After trial and error I found that as long as I ate every 2 hours, I would usually be okay. I only got sick one time, but it was so violent that I busted blood vessels in both eyes. I had the pleasure of walking around school with 2 red eyes and looked like I was on drugs, that was neat.

What foods have I been craving? Literally anything carb hits the spot - hash browns, toast, french fries, muffins, you name it I want it.
What foods/smells gross me out? Coffee, paint, red wine, gasoline, tuna.
Things that make me smile?
1. I am THRILLED to be going through this with Brian. He has been undeniably the most supportive husband I could ask for. He has been cooking and cleaning and doting on me. I would be lost without him.
2.The fact that I have 3 friends who are pregnant with me! Two friends are due March 2011, another friend is due April 2011. It is SO refreshing to have pregnant friends to share milestones, struggles, and tips with.
I decided to tell my Principal around week 11. I was so nervous to tell her, as I had JUST been hired. She had the typical "business-like" response and reaction which threw me off. She asked that I keep it quiet until after parent/teacher conferences which are in mid-October (I will be 16 weeks pregnant btw) because once the parents find out they will be upset. This, in turn, upset me. Once you hit 12 weeks, you want to shout it from the rooftops but now she wants me to keep it quiet for an additional 4 weeks! I do understand where she is coming from, but that doesn't make it any easier. So needless to say it has been VERY difficult keeping it a secret from the people that I see 40+ hours each week, especially when I have to leave my room every 1-2 hours for a potty break and am eating around the clock and all the yawning, etc. So these past few weeks have definitely been hard for me - with the exhaustion, the nausea, and the secrets. Not my cup of tea.

But when I get home and can be happy and overjoyed with Brian, all is right in the world again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment