Thursday, October 7, 2010

My New Favorite Phrase

I'm pregnant!!!

Most of you know by now, but for those of you that don't, Brian and I are expecting our first baby. We are overjoyed, overwhelmed, and blessed beyond belief! For the past 26 years, I have wanted 2 things in life in order to feel "complete" - a husband (check!) and a baby (on the way!). I have dreamed of this moment for so long and am ecstatic that it is finally here :)

Back in August, Brian was visiting his college friends in Birmingham for the weekend and on Saturday night I decided to take a pregnancy test. I have taken many of these over the course of our marriage and all have been negative, so I was expecting the same results. I waited 3-5 minutes and peeked at the magic stick as it showed "Pregnant." I was in complete disbelief and thought it must have been a false positive and kept re-reading the directions that came in the pregnancy test package. I spoke with Brian that night on the phone and decided not to tell him as he would just think I was crazy. I re-read the instructions again and read that it is best to take the test first thing in the morning. So Penny and I went to bed, woke up at the crack of dawn, and took another test. Positive. I SCREAMED with excitement, which scared Penny, but I was incredibly happy and it was hard to keep it quiet. I decided to wait until Brian got home so I could tell him face-to-face, as opposed to over the phone. I kept calling Brian and asking him how far away he was and when he'd be home exactly. He was suspicious, but clueless. When he walked in the door I had laid out 4 baby movies on the bar top - Baby Mama, Big Daddy, Juno, and Knocked Up.
He later told me that he thought to himself, "Oh how nice, Ellen bought me some DVDs." Clueless. Then I sent Penny down the stairs with a note tied around her neck that read "soon-to-be Big Sister" but Brian failed to read her note.
Clueless. I knew this would happen so I made sure to have many different clues throughout the house. Brian walked into the kitchen where I had placed the Scrabble board on the table. We play Scrabble a lot together :) I spelled out "YES IM PREGNANT."
At this point I was standing at the top of our stairs and I heard him say "Whaaaaat?" in complete shock. He slowly walked through the living room and came to the bottom of the steps. We made eye contact and I, of course, started bawling. He ran up the stairs and kept asking, "Are you sure? Is this real? Oh my gosh, I can't believe it." Tons of hugs and kisses and tears later, I was able to share my events from the past 24 hours with him. I don't think I will ever forget Brian's sweet face and reaction; it was priceless.

The next step was to tell our parents. We invited my mom, dad, and sister over for dinner that Tuesday night at our house. My parents take care of Penny during the day since Brian and I both work full-time. (Have I mentioned that they are wonderful??) In the middle of dinner, I popped up and said, "I forgot that we have something for you." I brought in a wrapped gift and handed it to my parents and told them, "We got you a little something for helping us out with Penny everyday." They opened it up and inside was a picture frame that said "Grandchildren" at the top and I had slipped some paper that said "Coming Soon in 2011" inside. My dad was the first to catch on and asked, "Wait are you pregnant?" My mom's eyes got wide and she started squealing with excitement. My whole family was so excited for Brian and I and just really could not believe it. Of course, they were full of questions! On Wednesday night, Brian and I Skyped with his parents. I wrote out "We're Pregnant" on a sign and we waited anxiously. When we saw that they had logged on, we held up the sign. The first thing his parents saw was Brian and I holding the sign. They were so happy for us and full of questions, too!

I am not going to actually post this entry until October, but as of right now (mid August), I am 6 weeks pregnant!!

Just to sum it up... our feelings are: complete shock but total excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment