Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kids say the darndest things...


So being a teacher to a room full of 7 and 8 years olds has been very interesting. I love them all and they are very precious to me. However, I have learned that they have NO filter when it comes to their innermost thoughts.

I play this game with my students called "Ya Know What." We play it every Monday morning. We sit in a circle and each of us gets 20 seconds to share whatever we want to share with the class - hitting a home run on Saturday, getting a new puppy, whatever. I call it "Ya Know What" because children always seem to start their random stories with, "Hey Mrs. Hake, ya know what..." This is a fabulous game because Tuesday through Friday if a student comes up to me and starts telling me about their mom's hurt leg or their hamster learned a new trick, I can say, "Wait a second, is this a story that you could save for Ya Know What next week?" I love it. So over the weekend of Oct 23, administration had sent a letter home to the parents and I had sent a follow-up email as well telling them of my good news that I was expecting. So I knew come Monday morning, the kids would all know! I waited until "Ya Know What" and let them all tell their silly 20 second stories and then it was my turn. I announced that I was pregnant and they all squealed with excitement. It was adorable! Then came the questions. And the questions and comments have not stopped over the past few weeks...

"Did you even want to have a baby?"

"Aren't you so scared?"

"I knew you were pregnant the day I met you." (Not possible, because I didn't even know seeing as I how I met the students when I was like 3 weeks pregnant.) I asked him how he knew and he responded with, "Because your belly was like ba-boom" and he motioned that my belly was huge. Neat.

"Did you know that they have to cut open your stomach and then they rip the baby out? Aren't you so scared that'll hurt?" (I responded to that one with: Thank you for freaking Mrs. Hake out. But guess what? All of your mothers survived childbirth, so I'm pretty sure I'll be okay. But again, thank you for freaking Mrs. Hake out.)

"After you have the baby, you have to put these suction things on your boobs..." (I obviously put my hand up and cut that child off. SO inappropriate!!)

I let the students place "bets" on whether they thought it was going to be a boy or a girl. A majority of the girls guessed girl and a majority of the boys guessed boy, shocker. But one female student came up to me and said, "I know for sure that it is a girl." When I asked her why, she said, "Because when it is a boy your belly is pointy and when it is a girl your belly is round. And you definitely have a round belly." Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment